Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Afton Trail Run

5 hearty runners for the Finn Sisu trail team (if you wear the jersey, you are on the team!) ran the Afton Trail Run 25k this past July 4th. It was a great time, and thankfully I am able to walk down stairs today! The weather cooperated nicely, being as it was only 65 degrees, and we even got a bit of a drizzle for the last half of the race. If you are not familiar with the Afton Trail Run, it is one of the largest trail races in MN (the race filled up to the maximum 450 runners well before race day), and it is run on the trails at Afton State Park (called one of the countries 50 greatest running trails by Runner's World magazine). The course is - how should I put it - hilly. Check out the course profile for proof (and it is as tough as it looks).It took me (not the most accomplished runner in the world) 2 hours, 11 minutes, and 37 seconds to cover the 15.5 miles. I actually felt pretty good for the first hour, and was still moving well through 11 miles, but I was completely, entirely, walk-up-the-hills-by-pushing-on-my-knees-with-my-hands spent for the last 4.5 miles (that is almost 1/3 of the race, so I may have miscalculated my starting pace...). I did have a great time, and would definately do it again next year. The people were friendly, the course was well marked, and the burgers after the race were fantastic. I think I would skip mowing the lawn the day before the race though, as I found the muscles I use pushing the lawn mower to be the same ones that I use walking up a steep trail. Oops. That and I will get out for more long runs on trails. That will help too. Running on trails is a different animal than running on roads, and one of the trickiest parts of Afton is the steep downhills. Thank goodness for my Vasques. I don't know how people ran in normal running shoes.


The Finn Sisu runners did very well. James finished 5th overall!, Nichole was the 2nd woman overall!, Mark was the 2nd masters runner!, and Kevin and I had fun and looked good doing it :)


Mark, Me, James, Nichole, and Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment